ASSEMBLY TIMES: - SUNDAY Morning Bible Classes 9:30 AM; - SUNDAY Morning Worship Service 10:30 AM; - SUNDAY Evening Worship Service 6:00 PM; - And, WEDNESDAY Night Classes 7:00 PM
THE HISTORY Of the Crockett Road Church of Christ In Palestine, Texas
The church meeting at 1717 Crockett Road in Palestine has a long, but colorful history. It was begun by a number of brethren who desired to extend the borders of the Kingdom. The prospect of reaching more with the gospel and offering greater opportunity for the developing of each person in the service of the Lord encouraged them to lay plans for another congregation in a different section of town. A letter stating these plans was signed by B.B. Campbell, A.B. Whitescarver, W.J. Inmon, M.T. Carter, Tom Dunbar, and Boyd Jones and was read to the church in Palestine. Those who desired to have a part in the newly planned work were invited to attend the first services held in the Community Center.
A formal invitation was extended to Archie Waldrum to work as the local evangelist. He accepted and preached to the newly formed congregation on Sunday, November 21, 1954, at its first meeting. One hundred and twenty-three persons signed membership cards to become the charter members.
From this nucleus the church enjoyed a steady growth in spite of inadequate facilities. The willingness to sacrifice evidenced by every member gave rise to the idea of building their own meeting house. Such a project seemed impossible to them in their present situation, having little money in the treasury and a debt of $1,000 still carried from the purchase of lots. However, a building committee was appointed composed of Tom Dunbar, M.T. Carter, J.C. Bell, and Boyd Jones. It was to secure plans and recommend a method for financing the program. The committee settled on the sale of bonds issued for a twelve and one-half year period as the most expedient means considered. An issue of bonds totaling $45,000 was placed on sale April 1, 1955. The entire amount was sold in exactly one month. Construction work began on April 15th and on July 17th, 1955, the first services were held in the new structure. The first gospel meeting began on July 24th, 1955, with Leon C. Burns preaching. There were ten additions during this effort.
From November 21, 1954 to April 30, 1956, there were 82 additions. The congregation conducted a weekly radio program over the local station, supported the Herald of Truth national radio program, sponsored a weekly Bible lesson in the local paper, conducted two gospel meetings at home each year and two away from home, had a Vacation Bible School and a Training-For-Service series each year, contributed monthly to other good works, and was active in several other benevolent and evangelistic endeavors.
The preceding information was taken from the directory printed in May, 1956.
The remaining history has a great many chapters in it-as many as the individual experiences of each of the great number of people who shared the work at Crockett Road. Archie Waldrum continued to labor with the church for the first ten years of its history. On August 2, 1964, Lowell Wallace and his family, June, Timmy, and David, visited the church and received an invitation to work with it. Feeling that the Lord had brought the two parties together, the invitation was accepted beginning the 19th of August, 1964.
Lowell Wallace preached for the congregation until January, 1972 upon moving to Terrell, Texas. One of the first goals of the Crockett Road Church of Christ was that by 1970 we wanted to have our own full time missionary in the field. This was accomplished in June, 1970 when we placed Herman Pope in the mission field at Meridian, Idaho. The Pope family includes the wife and mother Shirley - children Allen - Stanley & Sheri. Their address is Box 315 Meridian, Idaho 83642.
On March 27, 1972, Dan D. Manuel, wife Audrey, and daughter, Danna, moved to Palestine, to accept the work of Minister. He came to Palestine, from Natchitoches, Louisiana, where he served as Minister, and Campus Evangelist on the campus of Northwestern State University. He is originally from Hallsville, Texas. Dan and Audrey welcomed an addition to their family in 1972 with the birth of their younger daughter Amanda in September of that year. Dan has served the congregation for 47 years as Minister and was appointed as an Elder of the church in the year 1999. He conducts a number of Gospel Meetings each year and has preached in many states allover our nation. He has served as moderator for the television program, "GIVE ME THE BIBLE" which appears on several NBC affiliates. He also preaches weekly over DISH and DIRECT satellite all over our nation. He was a panelist on the nation wide television program "CAMPAIGN AMERICA".
During the tenure of Dan Manuel, several additions have been made to the physical plant. A new church auditorium was added in 1977 and a family life activity center was constructed in 1992 as well as additional classrooms.
Through the years several have served as associate ministers or youth directors including, Paul Smith, Paul Hillier, Chris Humphery, Josh Shellenbarger, Scott Johnson, Owen Perry, Tom Dunbar, Joe Hancock, Blake Baker, Ben Rhone and others who served as interns with the church.
Those who have served as Elders in the past are: Lester Singleton, Tom Dunbar, Blake Campbell, Melvin Carter, Jim Griffith, Clifford Dotson, Earl Milner, Don Bell, Joe Gay. Present Elders are Dan Manuel, Dale Sparks and Dwight Franklin.
In the Summer of 1986, the Crockett Rd. Church of Christ and the Church of Christ on Queen and Debard Sts merged together to form one congregation. From that merger the congregation has continually grown both spiritually and numerically. The membership of the church (now 480 members) is blessed and works together in harmony and love. Souls continue to be saved , and members strengthened and encouraged. They are committed to proclaiming the Gospel of Jesus. Their conservative approach to the Holy Scriptures and love for truth has resulted in the blessings of God.
The church is active in Missions and outreach through personal evangelism, television, radio,and the printed page as well as sound Biblical gospel preaching and teaching.
From the establishment of the Church in A.D. 33, until now, changes have been wrought in the lives of many who have accepted Jesus, and have crowned Him the Lord of their life. It is with GREAT anticipation that in the years ahead, the Crockett Road congregation, with its Spiritual vivacity, will ever proceed in the most noble cause of all, "Preaching Jesus and Him crucified."
"Listen to the word of the LORD.... My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge." Hosea 4:1 & 6 (NASB)